Thursday, November 4, 2010

Ani B'Yerushalayim! I am in Jerusalem!

Shalom, Shalom!
Wow, we have been so busy! Our group of 26 rabbis left Tel Aviv yesterday (Wednesday) and made our way up North. We went to Ceasaria (Kesaryia in Hebrew), which was my first time visiting this ancient city, which is one of the oldest cities in Israel. In recent years it has become a very nice resort area, yet it holds a great deal of historical importance, especially for Christians. After touring the ancient Theater, we watched a brief historical movie and then had Morning services on the beach. To say it was amazing is an understatement!

From there we stopped for lunch and then went to Tsfat and had a "mystical" time. Actually, we didn't really have a lot of time in Tsfat, but it was beautiful and of course there is something almost magical about being in the city where Jewish Mysticism and Kabbalah were born. We then went to an Israeli "Dude Ranch," where I got to drive a "TomCar" (which is like a doonbuggy). Don't worry, no one got hurt!

After some fun at the rance, we went to Kibbutz Kfar Blum and had an opportunity to learn about that kibbutz and the entire kibbutz movement. This is very meaningful to me, as I spent one of the best summers of my life on Kibbutz Kfar Hanasi (which is in the Galilee, near the town of Rosh Pina). Being back on a kibbutz (communal community) was very powerful, and the hotel at Kfar Blum was great. After dinner and our evening program I took a walk with 6 other rabbis on my trip to the Jordan River. After we got lost for a while (and I wasn't even trying to lead), we finally found our way (in the dark) to the river. Being with friends and getting some fresh air was truly a wonderful to end the night!

This morning we left the Kibbutz and went on a tour of the area around the Northof Israel (which is one of the most beautiful parts of the country). This led us to a wonderful discussion about the issues of security as we looked out and saw the Golan Heights and saw Israel's neighbors. We stopped at the Kinneret Cemetery to see the graves of some of Israel's pioneers which sits above Lake Kinneret (Sea of Galilee) and which I think is one of the most beautiful spots in the entire world. We continued on to Jerusalem and after stopping to say a few prayers upon entering the Holy City, we continued on our tour.

Our formal programming for today ended with a tour to Yad Vashem- Israel's Holocaust Memorial/Museum. While I've been there a number of times before, today was incredibly powerful. I was so emotional and yet so grateful for this opportunity to pay tribute to rigtheous who made a difference and pay respects to those who were murdered.

I finished the night by going to one of my favorite restaurants, "Cafe B'gina" (Cafe in the Garden) for dinner with my friend Dr. Melissa Ser. It was wonderful to catch up with her and hear all about her sons and her husband and the very exciting life she leads as an educator in Israel. And the food was, of course, "tayim ma'od" (very delicious)! I had a few of my favorite dishes and we truly had a great time!

Ok, well, I'm so thoroughly exhausted that I know I'll really appreciate Shabbat. However, we have a pretty full day planned for tomorrow before Shabbat begins, so for now I'm off to bed.

Again, Lila Tov-Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment