Friday, November 5, 2010

Shabbat Shalom from Israel!

Shabbat Shalom! Again, we had an amzing day which included a visit to Kever Rachel- Rachel's Tomb...Rachel as in our Matriarch-Jacob's wife. It was powerful for many reasons- the history of the site and the connection to the bible and also the realistic complexities of where it is located. After a "security tour" we went to the Shuk- Machane Yehuda, and then I had a chance to do some shopping (finally)!!!

After a little shopping (not enough), we went to the Old City to prepare for Shabbat and our prayers were amazing. I am so full of emotion and so truly grateful for all the many gifts I've received from God.

After leaving our group, I had the chance to be alone and to go to the Kotel-The Western Wall and place in the cracks of the wall the notes people gave me (including one written in Korean!). I sang with women the songs of L'cha Dodi and Hinei Mah Tov- How great it is that we are all dwelling together. When I told this group of religious American women how wonderful it was for me to sing with them, they told me they had chills! (Also, interestingly enough, I saw someone "cross" herself at the wall, which meant to me that this is a holy place for so many!

From there, as I exited the Kotel I had a chance to meet with some Jewish, Israeli 11th graders who were in Jerusalem from Ashdod. I gave them a pack of our "Meshuga Bands" (www.meshugabands.com) and they LOVED them (they were even fighting over them b/c they all wanted the "Chai", so luckily I had an extra pack to give them!). I went into a store to buy a souvenir and the Israeli Arab owner, Asam and I had a great conversation about Peace. After he gave me a cup of coffee (and a great discount), together he and I prayed to God that there would be Shalom-Salam-Peace !!! As I left the area of the old city to return to my hotel to get ready for Shabbat dinner, I had a cab driver who is a Druze (which is a "secret religion" there are 100,000 Druze in Israel and 250,000 in Lebanon and 250,000 in Syria). We, too, had a great conversation.

Ok, WOW...what a day and what a trip! Hopefully I will get a chance to post at least one more time from Israel.

For now, Shabbat Shalom...

1 comment: